Yes, you SHOULD set a New Year resolutionJan 02, 2020
We hear the same messages every year…
“Resolutions don’t work”
“__% of resolutions fail”
“Don’t set resolutions”
I have a theory. My theory is that resolutions fail because every year we’re told they fail. Let’s change that story.
First of all, what is a resolution? The dictionary tells us that a resolution is firm decision to not do something.
When we resolve to do (or not do) something, it is like carving your intention in stone. A resolution means that you are changing your standards. Drawing the line in the sand and you won’t accept anything else.
But that’s not how we, as a society, set resolutions.
Resolutions today have become nothing more than a wish with about as much staying power as blowing out the candles on your birthday cake. It’s like blowing out the candles on the worlds birthday cake and then a week later forgetting you had ever wished for that thing.
And of course this is how we do it. We’re told every year that we’ll fail at our resolutions so why even bother?
Because it makes sense to.
Think about it. It’s the start of a new year. What better time to reflect on the year that has past and to set intentions and outcomes for the year to come?
There are 3 problems with how we set resolutions:
1) Most of us set resolutions as carelessly as we do our birthday wishes and once the smoke as cleared from the candles, the wish is long forgotten.
2) We set resolutions we think we "should" set. I call them “Should Goals”. I should quit smoking, I should lose weight... but do you really want to? You won't succeed at any resolution or goal unless you actually want to make the change.
3) Your resolution is usually focused on what you’ll need to sacrifice and not what you’re going to gain. For example, if your resolution is to lose weight… who really wants to lose something? Who really wants to give up all their favourite foods?
So how do we change it?
We change it by setting real resolutions. What do you want to resolve for 2020?
Imagine for a moment that it is December 31, 2020. Who are you? What have you accomplished? How do you feel? How is your life different from 1 year ago? This is your desired outcome.
Now, are you willing to do whatever it takes to get there?
How to set better Resolutions that Stick!
1) Visualize the outcome that you WANT
2) Set resolutions you WANT- not ones you don't want
3) Focus on what you have to gain by getting what you WANT
4) Believe you can have what you WANT
5) Accept nothing less than what you WANT
Do we need to set resolutions?
Everything in the universe is either expanding or retracting, growing or shrinking and that includes us. Setting resolutions, or goals is movement. It means that you are moving towards something and that you are growing. Better to grow than to shrink.
If you don’t set goals, you’ll never fail. But who wants to succeed at nothing?
Now the question becomes, how do we achieve those goals? Book your complimentary 30 minute coaching session with me at www.teriholland.ca
SUBSCRIBE FOR WEEKLY LIFE LESSONS
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.